Thursday, March 10, 2016

Honoring Mrs. Reagan

Today, the kids and I took the ultimate field trip to the Reagan museum to see the body of Mrs. Nancy Reagan as it lay in repose.  I was excited to give the kids this once in a lifetime experience that I hope they remember for the rest of their lives!  One of the reasons that I really wanted to take the kids was because of my own experiences as a child.

When I was very young, my mom took me to watch the Presidential motorcade of President Reagan as it traveled down I-96 from the Grand Rapids airport to downtown for the dedication of President Ford's museum.  

A few years later, my mom again took us kids and some neighbors to watch a motorcade traveling the same route, this time carrying President George H.W. Bush!  He even waved to us!  We know this because we may have hopped a fence and been in an area we weren't supposed to be and were the only people standing along the freeway!!

When President Ford died right after Christmas in 2005, I was thankful the memorials in Grand Rapids happened while I had already planned to be there!  Faith was able to come with us (as an 8 month old in a car seat!) to watch the motorcade again travel the route from the airport to the museum downtown.  Then after the funeral the following day, we were downtown to watch the F-16 flyover in the missing man formation.

These are things I will always remember.  As a young child, it showed the honor and respect that we show to our elected officials, particularly the President of our country.  I hope my kids picked up some of that as well today; all three were in awe as we walked past the casket, noticing the four police officers guarding they body with unflinching care, honor, and respect.  

a memento of today, given to all who viewed the body

One more picture as were waited to board the bus back to our car

I'm glad I have pictures to show here of today as she may not remember it, but we'll remind her!

1 comment: