Sunday, July 5, 2015

4th of July Fun!

Happy late 4th of July!  We had a fun day, enjoying some of our favorite traditions, and even starting some new ones!  The morning began with the annual Push 'em Pull 'em Parade down Main St. Ventura.  This is the 5th year in a row in which the kids and I have marched (or rode or been pulled!) in the parade.  Each year we walk with our friends the Fortunati's, and each year Julie and I look at each other and wonder who all these people are and from where did they come?!  It is a sea of red, white, and blue walking down the street!  I love how Julie's husband captured this picture of the parade of people, and also us in our sun hats!

Not the best picture, but I had to include one of Minnie Mouse (aka Livvy!) riding her bike in the parade!  I don't know how or why it started, but our kids love to wear costumes in the parade!
 
Faith dressed as Minnie too!  And Shane's friend Miles dressed as Batman. 
 
A family shot at the end of the parade!  Now for the walk back up the hill to our car!
 
We had a few families from church over in the evening for a BBQ!  Olivia insisted on wearing the Minnie costume!  Faith went to her friend Rose's house in the afternoon to make some pies that they would then bring to the BBQ! 
 
Following dinner and pie, we were able to see the local fireworks from our backyard.  Then the kids did sparklers and Steve built a fire!  As a kid I loved doing sparklers with all the neighborhood friends, and I remember my dad having to go inside because it worried him too much to watch us running around in the dark with those things!  Now that I'm the parent, I felt like running inside like my dad did as I worried at the safety and sanity of doing such things!  But, thankfully we had a dad take charge and lead the kids in a very organized, safe, fun, sparkler experience!  Of course the kids can't wait to do it all again next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment