Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Update on Faith

I thought I would give a quick update on Faith and how she is fairing with her broken arm!  Overall she is doing really well!  Last week Monday (day after the infamous fall!) we went to see the Orthopedic doctor who took more x-rays, and he told us that contrary to what the urgent care doctor said, both bones in the arm were broken - radius and ulna.  The radius was an obvious bone break, while the ulna break is called a green stick, which means that it is bent.  That was what made the arm appear broken as it was bent up. 
 
So before getting the pretty pink cast on her arm, the doctor had to set Faith's arm bones back in their proper place!  It was as terrible as it sounds!  He did numb her arm first, but with her fear of needles, I thought that was going to be the worst part!  She did really well and was very brave, and thankfully the whole receiving the shots minutes were not too bad!  The doctor warned me about the setting process saying that I may want to leave the room!  Since I knew it would be better for Faith if I stayed, I did, holding her hand with my head turned so that I could not see what was happening!  What I know now is that I should have covered my ears too! 
 
As mentioned before she is doing really well!  Faith attempts to do as much as possible on her own using her left hand, and the things she needs help for, such as getting dressed, she asks for help.  Her attitude has also be great, and the sad moments where she is down about missing out on things are really few and far between.  This week Monday we went back to the doctor for a brief checkup and follow up x-ray, and we received the great news that everything is healing well and as it should! Her next appointment is next Wednesday for a new cast!

No comments:

Post a Comment